Tulsa Medication Error Attorneys
Medication Mistakes in Oklahoma
Medication errors are alarmingly common in the United States—over 100,000 alleged medication errors are reported to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) every year, and more than 7 million people are affected by medication mistakes annually in the U.S., according to the Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives (2016).
While some medication errors are relatively harmless, others lead to devastating consequences for patients and their families. If you or your loved one was harmed by a medication mistake, you could have grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit against the liable party. At Brewster & De Angelis, our Tulsa medication error attorneys have extensive experience representing clients throughout Oklahoma in complex cases. Since 1983, we have successfully held hospitals, pharmacies, doctors, nurses, and other medical providers accountable when their negligence causes serious injury and death. Our team is ready to fight for you and your family.
Examples of Common Medication Errors
Medication errors can occur anytime a patient receives or is prescribed medication by a medical provider. Types of medical errors involving medications can have unexpected consequences, so learning about these examples will help you understand your case.
Examples of common medication errors include:
- Overdose, under-dose, and other dosage errors
- Dispensing or prescribing the wrong medication
- Administering medication to the wrong patient
- Failing to consider drug interactions
- Failing to properly respond to adverse drug reactions
- Labeling a medication incorrectly or unclearly
- Dispensing medication to a patient who is allergic to the drug
- Administering or prescribing a medication for an untested/off-label use
- Failing to provide adequate instructions to a patient
- Failing to warn patients of possible side effects
- Administering a medication by the incorrect means (orally, intravenously, etc.)
- Administering medication at the wrong frequency or for the wrong duration
How Do Medication Mistakes Happen?
Medication errors should never happen, yet they commonly occur when medical providers are careless, negligent, or fail to uphold the accepted standard of care.
Some of the most common causes of medication errors include:
- Diagnostic errors, including misdiagnosis, leading to the incorrect drug being prescribed or administered
- Failing to consider a patient’s medical history, including their history of adverse drug reactions or medication allergies
- Lack of communication or poor communication between medical providers, including prescribing doctors and pharmacies
- Illegible handwriting on prescriptions, misunderstanding abbreviations, and other problems with prescriptions/drug labels
- Miscalculating the appropriate medication dose based on various factors, including the patient’s weight for weight-based medications
- Inexperienced, overconfident, or poorly trained medical providers, leading to various types of medication mistakes
- Failing to discontinue or modify medication, often as a result of poor or nonexistent follow-up care or aftercare
If you believe you or your loved one was the victim of a medication error, there is a significant chance that medical malpractice or negligence is to blame. Reach out to our Tulsa medication error attorneys at Brewster & De Angelis to learn more about your legal rights and options.
Who Is Liable for a Medication Error?
The person or party legally responsible for a medication error depends on several factors, including the type of error, the circumstances surrounding it, and the individual medical professional’s employment status. For example, if your loved one received anesthesia in the hospital despite being allergic, leading to serious injury or death, you could have a claim against the anesthesiologist or doctor who failed to obtain your loved one’s medical history. You could also have a claim against the hospital itself if the responsible party was a hospital employee.
At Brewster & De Angelis, we know how to properly investigate claims to determine who is liable for our clients’ damages. We work with expert witnesses who provide powerful testimony regarding the standard of care, how the standard of care was breached, and what caused your injuries or your loved one’s death. Our collaborative and aggressive approach to litigation, coupled with our decades of trial experience, makes us a formidable ally for our clients, both in and out of the courtroom.
You Don’t Pay Unless We Win Your Case
We offer our personal injury and medical malpractice services on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not owe any out-of-pocket expenses when you work with our firm; instead, we collect attorney fees via a percentage of your total recovery. If we do not recover a settlement or verdict for you, you do not pay.
It is important that you act quickly if you believe you are the victim of a preventable medical error. In Oklahoma, you only have two years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. If you wait too long, you could lose your right to sue the liable party for damages. Our Tulsa medication mistake lawyers are ready to take your call, listen to your story, and share how we can help you fight for the justice you and your family deserve.
Available & Responsive
The attorneys at Brewster & De Angelis are always available to provide you with updates and answer questions regarding your case. At the end of the day, we work for you and pride ourselves on being available regardless of the situation.
Focused On Your Best Interests
When going through a legal matter, things can seem scary and uncontrollable. Our team works to refine the legal process in order to ensure you not only understand exactly what is going on, but also that your goals and interests are taken into account with every decision.
Collaborative Legal Strategies
Unlike other law firms, we handle a small number of cases so that our team can focus on getting you results. When it is time to get ready for trial, you can be assured that our full team of litigators has convened to get you the best possible outcome.
Dedicated & Trusted Counsel
At Brewster & De Angelis we have the top litigators in Tulsa, Oklahoma and we have been serving our community for over forty years, giving us the tools and knowledge to aggressively and effectively handle your case.