Tulsa Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
Catastrophic Injury Lawsuits in Oklahoma
While any injury has the potential to completely disrupt a person’s life, some are so serious, they are considered “catastrophic.” Generally speaking, catastrophic injuries result in permanent limitations, impairments, or disabilities and often have a lifelong effect on victims and their loved ones.
If you or someone you care about suffered a catastrophic injury due to someone else’s careless, reckless, or wrongful conduct, reach out to Brewster & De Angelis. You could be entitled to financial compensation for your medical expenses, future care costs, lost income, and other damages. Our Tulsa catastrophic injury attorneys have decades of experience and know how to aggressively advocate for the full, fair compensation you are owed.
What Is a “Catastrophic” Injury?
While there is no set definition of a “catastrophic” injury, it is generally agreed that any injury significantly life-altering injury is "catastrophic."
Some examples of common catastrophic injuries include:
- Amputation/loss of limb
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe broken bones/fractures
- Severe burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Eye and face injuries
- Neurological disorders
- Terminal illness
- Chronic disease
- Permanent or significant scarring/disfigurement
At Brewster & De Angelis, we have successfully represented victims of all types of catastrophic injuries, as well as their families. We understand the unique challenges you are facing, and we know how to help.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries?
Any serious accident or traumatic event can lead to catastrophic injuries, but some incidents more commonly result in life-altering injuries than others.
The leading causes of catastrophic injuries are:
- Car, truck, motorcycle, and other motor vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Construction and industrial accidents
- Sports- and recreation-related accidents
- Serious falls, including slip and falls and falls from heights
- Fires and explosions
- Birth injuries, surgical errors, and other acts of medical malpractice
How Are Catastrophic Injury Claims Different from Other Personal Injury Cases?
In many ways, catastrophic injury claims are similar to standard personal injury claims. However, there are a few key differences that set these cases apart.
Catastrophic injury claims are different from standard personal injury claims in the following ways:
- Severity of the Injury: Catastrophic injuries are more severe than other types of injuries. As a result, they have a greater effect on the victim’s life, as well as the lives of their family members and loved ones. Victims often experience a great deal of physical pain and emotional suffering. They may be permanently disabled, meaning they can’t work. Their families can suffer significant loss of income on top of costly medical bills and related expenses.
- Cost of Medical Care: Due to their severity, catastrophic injuries often require more extensive—and expensive—medical care. Victims often require emergency surgery, ongoing rehabilitation, pain medications, and other costly treatments. Some catastrophic injury victims will even need lifelong care. As a result, the cost of treating a single catastrophic injury can easily exceed hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars over the course of the victim’s life.
- Extent of Damages: The severity of catastrophic injuries, the cost of medical care, and the associated hardships experienced by the victim and their family translate to extensive physical, emotional, and financial losses. In other words, the extent of the damages in catastrophic injury cases tends to be greater than other types of personal injury claims. This, in turn, drives up the overall value of these cases, causing insurance companies to aggressively defend them.
- Complexity: In relation to standard personal injury claims, catastrophic injury cases tend to be extremely complex. There could be multiple liable parties, or the liable party could be a powerful corporation or manufacturer. Calculating the victim’s projected future economic losses can be complicated, and insurance companies are more likely to fight back against these relatively high-value claims.
For all these reasons, it is important that you find a lawyer with experience handling complex catastrophic injury cases. You need someone who knows how to advocate for your current and future needs, as well as the justice you and your family deserve.
How Can an Attorney Help Your Catastrophic Injury Claim?
When facing catastrophic injuries, having a skilled and assertive attorney by your side is crucial. An attorney specializing in catastrophic injury cases can provide invaluable assistance, guiding you through the complex legal process and advocating for your rights. They are well-versed in the intricacies of these types of cases and can protect you from insurance companies seeking to minimize their liability or undervalue your claim.
Specific services that attorneys provide for their catastrophic injury clients include:
- Conducting a thorough investigation: Attorneys investigate the incident to establish liability and determine who was at fault. This involves gathering critical evidence such as police reports, surveillance videos, eyewitness statements, and medical records. A comprehensive investigation helps build a strong case on your behalf.
- Assessing damages: Attorneys help calculate the full extent of damages incurred by you and your family members due to the catastrophic injury. This includes medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and long-term care requirements. By accurately evaluating damages, attorneys can pursue maximum compensation for your losses.
- Negotiating with insurers: Attorneys are skilled negotiators who engage with insurance companies to secure the best possible settlement on your behalf. They have the expertise to handle complex negotiations and ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process. Their goal is to obtain fair and just compensation for your injuries and related damages.
- Trial preparation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, attorneys are prepared to take your case to trial. They meticulously prepare your case, gathering compelling evidence, identifying expert witnesses, and developing persuasive arguments to present in court. Attorneys use their litigation skills to vigorously advocate for your rights and seek a favorable outcome.
- Court representation: Attorneys represent you during court proceedings, providing skilled representation and presenting your case before a judge and jury. They have experience navigating the courtroom environment, presenting evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and making persuasive legal arguments on your behalf.
In conclusion, hiring an attorney specializing in catastrophic injury cases is vital for protecting your rights and pursuing fair compensation. They bring knowledge, experience, and tenacity to your case, ensuring that you receive the legal support and representation you need during this challenging time.
Why Choose Brewster & De Angelis?
Our Tulsa catastrophic injury attorneys have decades of experience navigating complicated, high-profile cases. Since 1983, we have aggressively fought for the rights of the injured and their families throughout Oklahoma. We believe in a collaborative approach to litigation, one that utilizes the strengths of each of our individual attorneys, as well as the resources of our entire firm.
When you choose Brewster & De Angelis, you can count on us to be there for you every step of the way. We take great pride in offering highly personalized and attentive legal services. Our clients are like our family; we strive to develop meaningful and lasting relationships with our clients so that they always know where to turn when a new legal challenge arises.
Available & Responsive
The attorneys at Brewster & De Angelis are always available to provide you with updates and answer questions regarding your case. At the end of the day, we work for you and pride ourselves on being available regardless of the situation.
Focused On Your Best Interests
When going through a legal matter, things can seem scary and uncontrollable. Our team works to refine the legal process in order to ensure you not only understand exactly what is going on, but also that your goals and interests are taken into account with every decision.
Collaborative Legal Strategies
Unlike other law firms, we handle a small number of cases so that our team can focus on getting you results. When it is time to get ready for trial, you can be assured that our full team of litigators has convened to get you the best possible outcome.
Dedicated & Trusted Counsel
At Brewster & De Angelis we have the top litigators in Tulsa, Oklahoma and we have been serving our community for over forty years, giving us the tools and knowledge to aggressively and effectively handle your case.