Tulsa Car Accident Attorneys
Motor Vehicle Accidents in Oklahoma
Being involved in an automobile accident is a frightening experience. Navigating the aftermath can be equally as stressful. You will need to deal with the insurance company and seek out fair compensation for your medical bills, auto repair costs, and other losses. But with Brewster & De Angelis by your side, you can rely on our team to handle these details while you focus on what matters most: healing.
Having an experienced attorney by your side can help with the recovery process and can make it easier to secure the benefits you deserve. At Brewster & De Angelis, our Tulsa car accident lawyers are committed to helping victims of all types of motor vehicle accidents, including those involving multiple cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other automobiles. Since 1983, we have made it our mission to be a source of confidence for clients and their families.
What to Do After a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident in Oklahoma, there are several critical steps you should take, both at the scene and in the hours, days, and weeks that follow.
If possible, immediately after the accident, do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention: Always see a medical provider for treatment after any car accident. If you are not given emergency treatment and/or transported to the hospital, you should see a primary care provider or go to the hospital as soon as possible. You could have underlying injuries or trauma that was initially masked by the shock of the crash.
- Report the Accident: If you or anyone else was injured, you should immediately call 911 and have the police come out to the scene of the crash. By law, you are required to report any accident that results in bodily injury or death to law enforcement “immediately and by the quickest means of communication.”
- Document Evidence: If you can, take pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damage to your vehicle. You should also talk to witnesses and get their names and contact information. If possible, get the name, contact information, and insurance information of the other driver(s) involved and write down everything you can remember about the incident.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: You are likely required to report the accident to your insurance company within a “reasonable” timeframe. Make sure you follow all rules outlined in your auto insurance policy, but avoid making any official statements about what happened or signing anything without first speaking to an attorney.
- Contact a Lawyer: The best way to navigate the claim filing process is to enlist the help of an experienced car accident lawyer. A lawyer can work with the insurance company on your behalf and protect your right to full and fair compensation. If you are having trouble getting your claim paid, your lawyer can represent you in court.
The steps you take after an accident can make a big difference in the outcome of your case. We encourage you to contact our Tulsa car accident lawyers right away to learn how we can help.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Generally speaking, negligence is the most common cause of motor vehicle accidents, both in Oklahoma and nationwide. This negligence can take many forms and may look like reckless, careless, or unlawful driving behaviors.
Specifically, some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Dangerous turns
- Unlawful passing
- Running red lights/stop signs
- Fatigued driving
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Unsafe merging/lane changes
- Road rage
Additional factors can lead to serious collisions, such as poor visibility, inclement weather, and defective roadways. At Brewster & De Angelis, our Tulsa car accident attorneys carefully review every claim to determine if underlying factors played a role in the crash. We leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of maximum recovery for our clients.
The Dangers of Distracted Driving
Distracted driving is one of the most common—and most dangerous—forms of negligence on our roadways. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than 3,000 people died in distracted driving-related incidents in 2019 alone.
There are three main types of driving distractions:
- Visual Distractions: These include any activities that cause the driver to take their eyes off the road, even if only for a few seconds.
- Manual Distractions: Anything that causes the driver to remove one or both hands from the steering wheel is a manual distraction.
- Cognitive Distractions: A cognitive distraction is one that causes the driver to be focused on anything other than the task of driving.
- Auditory Distractions: These include any conduct or activities that cause the driver to be unable to hear or not pay attention to traffic-related sounds, such as sirens.
Additionally, some specific examples of driving distractions include:
- Texting while driving
- Using a cellphone or handheld device
- Emailing while driving
- Watching or recording videos
- Looking at or taking pictures
- Scrolling through or posting to social media
- Reaching for something
- Looking at accidents
- Talking to passengers
- Adjusting vehicle controls, such as the AC or radio
- Using a cellphone or handheld device to play music
- Wearing headphones or earbuds
- Tending to children or pets in the vehicle
- Looking at a vehicle’s GPS or navigation system on a cellphone
These and other driving distractions can cause drivers to lose focus. This, in turn, can lead to devastating and even deadly collisions.
What If You Were Partly at Fault?
If you were partly at fault for the accident that caused your injuries, you could still be entitled to seek compensation from the other person’s insurance company. Under Oklahoma’s rule of modified comparative negligence, you can still file a car accident claim as long as you were less at fault than the other party/parties. However, it is important to note that the amount you can recover will be reduced by your at-fault percentage.
For example, if the insurance adjuster finds you 25% at fault because you were driving almost 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit when you were hit by someone who was texting while driving and ran a red light, your recovery will be reduced by 25%. If you are seeking $100,000 in damages, this means that you could only recover up to $75,000, or 75% of the total amount.
Why Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
Auto insurance companies are often more interested in protecting their bottom lines than in fairly paying out claims. As a result, they may dispute your injuries, argue that you were more at fault than the other party, or even deny your claim without giving a reason. It can be incredibly time-consuming, stressful, and frustrating to deal with the insurance company on your own.
When you work with the team at Brewster & De Angelis, you can have confidence knowing that our experienced attorneys will advocate for you and your rights throughout the entire process. We will handle everything, from gathering evidence to working with industry experts to communicating with the insurance company on your behalf. Once a lawyer gets involved, insurance companies are much more likely to fairly settle claims rather than go to court. However, if necessary, our Tulsa car accident lawyers are fully prepared to fight for your fair recovery at trial.
Request Your Complimentary Consultation Today
Since 1983, Brewster & De Angelis has been helping injured auto accident victims and the families of those wrongfully killed seek the justice and fair compensation they were owed. We have helped catastrophically injured clients successfully secure settlements and verdicts that provided for their current and future needs, and we know how to help you navigate the recovery process.
Available & Responsive
The attorneys at Brewster & De Angelis are always available to provide you with updates and answer questions regarding your case. At the end of the day, we work for you and pride ourselves on being available regardless of the situation.
Focused On Your Best Interests
When going through a legal matter, things can seem scary and uncontrollable. Our team works to refine the legal process in order to ensure you not only understand exactly what is going on, but also that your goals and interests are taken into account with every decision.
Collaborative Legal Strategies
Unlike other law firms, we handle a small number of cases so that our team can focus on getting you results. When it is time to get ready for trial, you can be assured that our full team of litigators has convened to get you the best possible outcome.
Dedicated & Trusted Counsel
At Brewster & De Angelis we have the top litigators in Tulsa, Oklahoma and we have been serving our community for over forty years, giving us the tools and knowledge to aggressively and effectively handle your case.