Tulsa Truck Accident Attorneys
Large Truck Collisions in Oklahoma
Any motor vehicle accident can be devastating, but an accident involving a semi-truck, tractor-trailer, or large commercial vehicle is almost guaranteed to result in serious injuries. Due to the speed, force, and weight of large trucks, occupants of other vehicles are highly vulnerable and may be impacted in a catastrophic or life-threatening way.
If you or someone you love was involved in an accident with a semi-truck, tractor-trailer, 18-wheeler, or similar large truck, reach out to Brewster & De Angelis right away. Our team of Tulsa truck accident attorneys has decades of experience and a proven track record of successfully representing injured accident victims, as well as the families of those wrongfully killed. We are well-versed in state and federal trucking regulations, as well as complex laws and specific issues relating to truck accident claims. We are known for providing compassionate, client-focused representation and are respected by our peers and opponents alike for our aggressive approach to litigation.
Injured in a truck accident? Contact Brewster & De Angelis at (918) 265-1214 today to request a free and confidential consultation with a member of our team.
What Makes Truck Accident Cases Different from Other Car Accident Claims?
On the surface, large truck accidents may seem similar to any other motor vehicle collision. However, there are several major differences when it comes to filing a truck accident claim versus a standard car accident claim.
Some of the factors that set truck accident cases apart from other types of motor vehicle collisions include:
- Severity: Truck accidents almost always result in more severe injuries than regular car accidents. The immense size and weight of semi-trucks, 18-wheelers, and other commercial vehicles mean that the force of a collision is likely to be much greater when these vehicles are involved. As a result, victims of truck accidents tend to sustain more severe injuries and face a greater risk of fatality compared to victims of other automobile accidents.
- Damages: Truck accidents tend to result in more extensive damages than other types of motor vehicle accidents. The severity of victims’ injuries typically requires extensive medical treatment and ongoing care. Truck accident victims are also more likely to be out of work for longer periods of time, be left with life-changing disabilities, and suffer massive damage to their vehicles and personal property. As a result, the overall value of most truck accident claims is significantly higher than the typical automobile accident case.
- Liability: Determining liability in a truck accident case can be extremely complicated. Unlike in standard car accident claims, the driver of the truck or other vehicle is not necessarily liable for the victim’s damages. Instead, the trucking company or another party could be partially or wholly liable. Identifying the liable party in a truck accident case often requires the use of specialists, such as accident reconstructionists, who can provide expert testimony.
Going up against any insurance company can be challenging, but this is especially true when major trucking companies and other powerful entities are involved. If you or someone you love was involved in an accident with a large commercial vehicle, it is extremely important that you reach out to a skilled personal injury lawyer, like those at Brewster & De Angelis.
Our team can answer your questions, address your concerns, and provide the personalized guidance you need to move forward in the recovery process.
Proving Negligence & Liability in Your Truck Accident Claim
Like other motor vehicle collisions, truck accidents fall under Oklahoma’s fault-based system. This means that you must prove the other party’s liability in order to bring a claim or lawsuit for damages.
In most cases, the first step in determining who is liable for your damages is identifying how the accident happened.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Truck driver error or negligence, such as distracted driving or drunk driving
- Hours-of-service violations, leading to fatigued driving
- Overloaded or improperly loaded cargo, leading to shifting weight during transit
- Lack of regular truck maintenance or improper maintenance procedures
- Failure to conduct routine truck inspections and/or repairs
- Negligent trucking company practices, such as failing to conduct routine drug/alcohol tests
- State and/or federal trucking violations by truck drivers and/or trucking companies
- Defective trucks or truck parts, including truck tires, brakes, lights, and reflective strips
- Unsafe conditions, such as inclement weather, poorly maintained roads, or defective road design
At Brewster & De Angelis, we conduct exhaustive investigations to determine exactly how the crash occurred. Our Tulsa truck accident attorneys evaluate black box data, reconstruct the accident scene, and examine what factors may have contributed to or caused the collision. We then use this information to identify the liable party and build powerful arguments on behalf of our clients.
Depending on the specific details of the crash, any of the following parties could be partially or entirely liable for your damages:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The manufacturer of a defective truck or truck part
- The person or party that loaded the truck’s cargo
- The entity responsible for conducting roadway maintenance
- The party responsible for conducting truck maintenance or repairs
- Another motorist on the road
The insurance company may even try to argue that you were partly (or entirely) at fault for the crash. Under the state’s rule of modified comparative negligence, you cannot file a claim for damages if you are found to be more at fault than the defendant. Even if you are found less at fault than the other party, your total recovery will be reduced by your at-fault percentage. This could mean recovering thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars less than you deserve.
Our team is ready to fight back against the insurance company’s efforts to dispute or devalue your claim. We have decades of experience going up against major trucking companies, manufacturers, and insurance companies, and we are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary.
Get Started with a Free Case Evaluation
At Brewster & De Angelis, we limit the number of cases we accept in order to better provide each and every one of our clients with the personal attention and focused representation they deserve. As a client, you can expect to receive consistent communication from your legal team, answers to any questions you may have, and one-on-one contact with your attorney throughout the legal process.
Request a complimentary consultation with our Tulsa truck accident attorneys today; call (918) 265-1214 or contact us online.
Truck Accident FAQs
Can I sue a trucking company after an accident with one of their drivers?
You may have grounds to bring a lawsuit against the trucking company if one of their drivers was responsible for the accident that caused your injuries. Trucking companies are often liable for the conduct of their employees while those employees are “on the clock.” You could also have a claim against the truck driver or another liable party. Reach out to Brewster & De Angelis to learn more.
How long do I have to file a truck accident lawsuit?
In Oklahoma, there is a two-year statute of limitations on truck accident cases. This means you have two years from the date of the accident to sue the liable party for damages. In nearly all cases, if you miss the filing deadline, you will lose your right to sue.
Should I hire a truck accident attorney?
It is always a good idea to discuss your case with an experienced truck accident attorney. These cases tend to be much more complex than standard car accident claims. You may need to bring a claim against a large, powerful entity; an attorney can help gather evidence and build your case while you focus on your physical and emotional recovery.
How much does a truck accident attorney cost?
Personal injury lawyers, including ours at Brewster & De Angelis, provide legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means that their legal fees are contingent on them winning your case. As a client, you typically do not pay anything upfront or out of pocket. Instead, your attorney’s legal fees will be taken as a percentage of your total settlement or verdict. The exact fee percentage is something you and your attorney can discuss and agree on before you hire them. Get in touch with Brewster & De Angelis today to set up a free, no-obligation consultation with our team.
Proven Results & SuccessHear From Our Past Clients
Mr. Mwafulirwa has an ability to communicate both orally and through the written word in a manner that sets him apart from others in the practice. In addition, his analytical capabilities are unmatched.- Attorney
From personal experience as an adversary, I know Mbilike to be a person of the highest character and integrity and an exceptional role model in the civic and legal communities.- Opposing Attorney
He is most ethical; always prepared; very professional; has a complete understanding of the facts and the applicable law in cases, and is very effective and persuasive. He is an outstanding litigator.- Judge
I have opposed Guy on several cases through the years and have always found him to be not only a formidable opponent, but also very ethical, professional, and easy to work with.- Attorney
Mr. Lair is a former colleague of mine. He is an excellent lawyer and of the highest moral character.- Attorney
What Sets Brewster & De Angelis Apart?
Available & Responsive
The attorneys at Brewster & De Angelis are always available to provide you with updates and answer questions regarding your case. At the end of the day, we work for you and pride ourselves on being available regardless of the situation.
Focused On Your Best Interests
When going through a legal matter, things can seem scary and uncontrollable. Our team works to refine the legal process in order to ensure you not only understand exactly what is going on, but also that your goals and interests are taken into account with every decision.
Collaborative Legal Strategies
Unlike other law firms, we handle a small number of cases so that our team can focus on getting you results. When it is time to get ready for trial, you can be assured that our full team of litigators has convened to get you the best possible outcome.
Dedicated & Trusted Counsel
At Brewster & De Angelis we have the top litigators in Tulsa, Oklahoma and we have been serving our community for over forty years, giving us the tools and knowledge to aggressively and effectively handle your case.